Sunday, April 17, 2011

Easy Recipes and Easter Eggs

Last week I made two recipes that were really easy & really good. Thought I would share:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001940193

(I used corn tortillas)

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001940265

(I used fat free sour cream)

I used ground turkey breast for both recipes.

---------------------------------------------------

Easter Eggs - I buy The Country Hen eggs from Publix. I swear they are the best eggs I've ever tasted. In each carton, you get a little newsletter and this weeks newsletter was really cute. The topic is "WE ASK...WHY SHOULD THE WHITE EGGS HAVE ALL THE EASTER FUN?"

It goes on to tell you how brown eggs actually dye better than white, but you have to utilize natural dyeing methods or food coloring dyeing rather than the store bought Easter Egg dye. I will be buying the cheap white eggs to dye for Easter...however, I am going to implement the natural dyeing or food color dyeing methods! Yay! A (somewhat) chemical free way to dye Easter Eggs! Here you go:

FOOD COLORING METHOD
1 cup hot water
2 teaspoons of white vinegar
1 teaspoon of food coloring (you can adjust the amount to reach your desired shade)

Mix the 3 ingredients for each food coloring you want (red, blue, green, etc.) Don't forget about using your base colors to create other colors. For example, mix red and yellow for orange, or red an blue for purple. Dip cool, hard boiled eggs into the food coloring dyes until desired color is achieved. Let eggs dry on a rack or in an egg carton.

NATURAL EGG DYES

BLUE - Red Cabbage Leaves
ORANGE - Paprika
RED - Lots of Red Onion Skins
PINK - Beets
PURPLE - Small amount of Red Onion Skins
YELLOW - Saffron

Bring 1 cup of water and dye ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes to 1 hour until desired color is obtained. Strain dye liquid and add 2 tablespoons of white vinegar. Kip cool, hard boiled eggs into hot liquid and let sit until desired color is acheived. Take eggs out of the dye and put on a rack or in an egg carton to dry. Careful - color can be easiliy removed until egg is dry. Eggs colored this way have a dull finish, but when they are dry, use cooking oil to add a gloss to them.

It goes on to say the most vibrant colors were created with the beets, saffron & red cabbage.

---------------------------------------------------

And in closing, here's a cute pic of Ruby and Harley from Rick & Hilary's post-wedding brunch. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment